Thursday, March 21, 2013

First Post Ever and Some Easter Fun!

Hello blog land! :) I am super excited because this is my very first post EVER! I am looking forward to sharing ideas and classroom activities with all of the FABULOUS teachers out there! This week my first grade class has been working on an Easter unit, and I have a few Easter goodies to share with all of you! On Wednesday our class listened to the story Flop-Ear by Guido Van Genechten.



In the story Flop-Ear realizes he is different from the other bunnies, because one of his ears stands up while the other flops down. The other bunnies laugh at him, and make jokes about Flop-Ear. After reading the story our class discussed ways that we could show kindness to Flop-Ear. We made a bunny craft and the students wrote down ways that they would be kind to him. I drew a bunny and copied the pieces onto white construction paper. The students cut out and colored in their pieces. Then they glued them to their writing prompt. If you would like a copy of the project click the following link: Bunny Craft and Writing Prompts

Included is a copy of the craft, and two writing prompts (in case you do not have the book I included an Easter bunny prompt that can be used as an alternative!) If you can use this activity in your classroom please leave a comment! :) I would love to hear your feedback!


Here is a boy example (the bow is under his chin)
Here is a girl example (the bow is in her ear)



We also learned about oviparous animals this week! We read stories about animals that lay eggs, and we sorted pictures of oviparous animals onto a class chart. Students picked one oviparous animal that they would like to see pop out of their Easter egg!


If you would like a copy of this activity please click the link below:
The Day My Easter Egg Grew Legs Writing Prompts

The students enjoyed playing a "scrambled egg" spelling game. Students had to find an Easter egg and inside were scrambled spelling words. Students had to figure out the spelling word and rewrite the word correctly on the line.




We also did a step by step Easter Bunny drawing and wrote a short story about our Easter Bunny.


We have been very busy working on our Easter fun this week!! Tomorrow is our last day before Spring Break, so we will be having our Easter egg hunt and some other fun activities to wrap up our unit! I plan to post some more pictures tomorrow! Thank you for stopping by! If you liked any of the ideas please leave a comment below! I am looking forward to posting more soon!! :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower, adore your bloggy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following and for the comment!!! I'm really glad you like it, that is great to hear!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello I just have to say you have the cutest blog. I am a new follower. I am having trouble downloading the bunny craft and writing prompt folder. Everything seems fine until it downloads the ears do not appear. Can you please check for me. Thank you for all you do and share. Mrs. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you Mrs. Valerie!! I am so sorry that the ears aren't downloading for you! Thank you for pointing that out to me, as I am sure others are unable to download them as well!! I will reload them tonight. Please let me know if you are still unable to download!! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just re-uploaded the files!! I hope they work for you this time!! Just click the same link as before and it should take you to the new Google doc. Please let me know if it doesn't work!! :)

      Delete